What to Give Away Before a Move
Did you recently buy a new house across town or lease an apartment on the other side of the country? Whatever the case, it’s important to downsize as you anticipate the upcoming move. Take a quick look around your home. Do you love everything in it, or could you stand to part with some odds and ends? The more you sell, toss, or donate, the easier the move will be. Here are some tips for deciding what to give away before a move.
Questions to Ask Yourself While Decluttering
As you begin packing, set aside a pile of items you want to give away. To determine what should go in this pile, weigh these questions in your mind:
- Does it have sentimental value?
- Have you used it at least once in the last six months?
- Is the item difficult to replace if you decide you need it in the future?
If you answered “no” to all three questions, seriously consider giving the item away.
Top Items to Give Away Before a Move
Are you having a hard time coming up with things to give away before you move? These suggestions should trigger some ideas:
- Clothing: From the outfits your kids have outgrown to the clothes you don’t wear anymore, you probably have at least a few clothing items to give away. If you’re still holding onto stained shirts or ripped jeans, throw these away.
- Small kitchen appliances: Did you forget about the panini maker, waffle iron, and juicer collecting dust in the back of the pantry? Whether you bought these items with good intentions or received them as gifts years ago, this is the perfect time to give them away to someone who will actually use them.
- Artwork: Framed photos and paintings can be tricky to move, so if you’ve outgrown your old movie posters or still have generic artwork you never really liked, consider giving them away. This makes moving easier and frees up wall space in your new home for artwork that speaks to you.
- Books: Because they’re surprisingly heavy for their size, books add to the total weight of your move very quickly. They belong in the smallest boxes you have to keep the load manageable. Instead of packing books you don’t like or have never even read, give them away to friends and family or donate them before the move.
- Old linens: There is a high demand for towels, bedding, blankets, and other linens at homeless shelters. If you have any of these items sitting around that you don’t use anymore, consider donating them.
- Dishware: Your cupboards might be full of mismatched plates, bowls, and cups, not to mention a wide assortment of mugs collecting dust on the top shelf. Free up space in the kitchen by giving away any dishware you hardly ever use.
- Toys: If you’re moving with kids, odds are you have boxes and bags of toys to sort through. Sit down with your children and help them pick out their very favorite stuffed animals, dolls, action figures, race cars, and other toys. Set a limit on the number of items you think is appropriate to take with you when you move.
Schedule Packing & Moving Services in the Washington, DC Area
Deciding what to give away before a move is just one step in the lengthy relocation process. If you need help getting it all done, call Georgetown Moving and Storage Company. Our experienced, professional team offers the packing and moving services you need to relocate with ease.
For more useful packing and moving tips, or to request a free quote, please contact us today at (703) 466-0575!