What Is the Average Moving Cost?
Moving is a tremendous task that takes careful planning. On top of this, moving requires financial preparation, which can be the most significant factor of all, depending on how large and far your move is.
For help estimating the cost of your upcoming move, please contact Georgetown Moving and Storage at (703) 466-0575.
Factors that Affect the Cost of Your Move
It’s impossible to give an all-encompassing average moving cost because so many factors come into play. Still, you need some idea of the final price so you can start preparing financially. Here’s what to consider:
- Distance – Local moves are usually priced by the hour with an hourly minimum. You might also need to pay a travel fee to cover the time it takes the movers to drive from the warehouse to each job site and back. Long-distance moves are usually charged a flat rate fee so you know from the get-go what the final cost will be.
- Home size – Larger homes are usually filled with more possessions, meaning the move will take longer. Moving out of a studio apartment typically takes two movers three to five hours to complete, while moving out of a three-bedroom house takes four movers seven to 10 hours to complete. The flat rate for long-distance moves is usually determined by the weight of the moving truck, which is often a direct correlation to the size of your home.
- Move date – Since summer is the busiest time to move, you might strike a deal if you move in the “off-season” between October and April. Hourly rates are also often lower Monday through Thursday.
- Additional services – If you need help packing, unpacking, and disassembling and reassembling furniture in addition to loading and unloading the truck and hauling your belongings, you can expect higher moving costs.
How to Get an Accurate Moving Quote
Moving companies have various methods for estimating the cost of your upcoming move. Here are the most reliable options available:
- Online estimate – It’s possible to receive an accurate online estimate if you provide specific information for your mover, including the date of your move, where you’re relocating to and from, the size of your home, the furniture items in each room, and any additional services you require.
- Phone estimate – If you prefer to speak with a phone estimator, you can call the moving company you’re considering hiring and provide detailed information about your home and the possessions you plan to move. With this information, the estimator can determine the number of movers required and the estimated amount of time it will take, thus providing you an accurate estimate over the phone.
- In-home estimate – For the most precise quote, an in-person visit may be needed. This gives the estimator a chance to conduct a visual survey to determine access, the need for any special equipment, and more. This type of estimate takes about 30 to 60 minutes, including time for answering your questions about the moving process.
Affordable Movers in DC, VA & MD
If you’re looking for a quality mover to provide the services you need at a low average moving cost, choose Georgetown Moving and Storage. We realize that pricing is among the most important factors when deciding on a moving company. That’s why we offer low hourly minimums and competitive rates. We make moving affordable, whether you have a small local move or large long-distance move coming up.
For more about our rates and pricing policies, or to receive your free estimate, please contact us online or call (703) 466-0575 today.