Moving from Washington, DC to California
DC & Maryland Area’s Top-Rated Cross-Country Movers
For many, the thought of orchestrating a move from the DC area to California can be overwhelming. By choosing the right long-distance moving company and following our tips for preparation, planning, and organization, you can help ensure your cross-country adventure is successful.
How To Prepare for a Move From DC to California
1. Start the Moving Process Early
The time to start preparing for your move is right after you decide to leave the east coast behind and try out west coast living. In addition to arranging for new housing and putting your current home on the market, now is the time to start making to-do lists and taking inventory of the items in each room.
Measure large pieces of furniture to make sure they’ll fit into your new space or determine what you may need to leave behind and replace once you reach your new destination.
2. Get Organized With Moving Checklists
Moving from DC to California requires a lot of information and coordination. Make yourself a moving binder to help you stay organized and keep all your important documents, lists, and receipts in one place.
In addition to moving applications you can download for your phone or tablet, there’s an infinite number of online resources where you can print out moving checklists for easy reference.
In addition to being small and portable, your moving binder can save you time, money, and frustration as you can quickly and easily locate the paperwork you need when you need it.
3. Choose the Right Moving Company
What should you look for in a long-distance moving company? Consider the following criteria before you choose:
- How long has the company been in business?
- For a long-distance move, it’s better to work with an established moving company with the experience, knowledge, and equipment to ensure the safe and timely transport of your items.
- Check reviews on websites such as Yelp and Angi, and contact the Better Business Bureau to identify any issues or complaints.
It’s important to start this process early, as the most reputable companies are often booked well in advance. To secure your preferred dates, try to book your move at least three months ahead of schedule.
Looking for the top long-distance movers in the DC area? Call Georgetown Moving and Storage today.
Some moving companies will weigh household contents once they’re loaded, and the cost of your move is calculated based on this figure in addition to other factors such as a fuel surcharge, time, and labor.
You can save a great deal on the overall price by downsizing your possessions and taking only necessary or meaningful items. Methodically work your way through each room looking for items to give away, recycle, toss, or donate.
5. Start Packing
Start packing your non-essential items well in advance of your moving day, or enlist the help of friends and family to give you a hand. Full-service or partial-service home packing is available if needed and will help safeguard your items while qualifying them to be insured.
Boxes packed by the homeowner are not covered by insurance for loss or damage, as there’s no way to verify the contents of each box or how they were packed.
Looking for help with packing for your move to California? Call the professional packers and movers at Georgetown Moving and Storage.
6. Get Acquainted With Your New Home
Learn all you can about California living to lessen the adjustment period, including:
- Climate: Depending on where you move, be prepared for four-season weather, including snow, rain, and the dry heat of summer.
- Getting around: Traffic in cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco can be challenging. Before you move from DC to these cities, research ways to navigate around your new home, though you may want your own vehicle for visiting areas outside city limits.
- Cost of living: The cost of living in California can be high, so make sure you budget accordingly.
Moving to or from a different area in the U.S.? Our blog has tips for moving all over the country.
Check out our most recent blogs posts »