How Long Does It Take to Pack Up a House?
Making the decision to move is an important decision in your life. But once you have decided, the clock starts ticking on all the things you need to do before your move. Whether you are moving across town, to the next state, or across the country, you still need to pack up your house. If you live a minimalist lifestyle, you would obviously have less to pack up than someone who has accumulated numerous belongings over the years.
Estimates Based on House Sizes
It is possible to get a good idea of how long it would take to pack up your house based on a few simple factors, including the size of your house and how many people live there. If you spend most of the day packing and have help from others most typical:
- One-bedroom homes or apartments could take about one to two days to pack
- Two-bedroom homes could take about two to three days to pack
- Three-bedroom homes could take about three to five days to pack
- Four-bedroom homes could take about four to six days to pack
- Five-bedroom homes could take about five to seven days to pack
These estimates are based on the assumptions that you have some experience with packing for a prior move and have average organizational skills. And of course, you are ready to go with all the moving supplies that you will need for packing, including special boxes, protective cushioning, tape, etc. You would also need to allow additional time for packing up items in your attic, garage, or shed.
Tips for Optimizing Your Packing Time
When you have kids and a full-time job, it can be difficult to devote an entire day to packing, let alone several. So, you need to come up with a strategy to get your packing done. Once you know you are moving, it is never too early to start packing up items that you will not be needing right away.
- If you are moving in the spring or summer, you know that you will not be needing winter clothes or holiday decorations right away. These items can be packed and stored in your garage, or if space is limited, you might want to consider storing them temporarily at a storage facility.
- Moving is a good time to weed out the items that you have not used since your last move or no longer have need for. Have a yard sale, donate for a tax deduction, give away, or throw out your unwanted items.
- Instead of trying to find time to do full days of packing, plan to do packing for several hours a day. Just be sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get it all done.
- Make sure that you have all the supplies you need for packing beforehand, instead of having to scrounge for boxes from the grocery or liquor store. For fragile items, such as electronics or artwork, purchases boxes that are made specifically for packing those items.
Hire a Professional Moving Company in DC, VA & MD
You can avoid the pressure of having to pack your belongings by hiring a professional to do it instead. Instead of taking days to pack, a team of movers could have most one-bedroom homes packed in two to four hours, while most four-bedroom homes could be packed up in under 12 hours.
Georgetown Moving and Storage Company offers full and partial-packing services for residents in the Washington, DC metro area. Contact us online or by phone at (703) 889-8899 to learn more about how we can make your next move easier for you and your family.