Commercial Relocation Checklist
Logistics, planning, scheduling—the number of factors that play into a commercial relocation can be dizzying. If you’re planning a commercial relocation in the Maryland or metro DC areas, you might be looking for ways to streamline the process. If so, worry not. You’ve come to the right place!
What to Do Before Your Relocation Process Begins
Before any calls are made or boxes begin being filled, there are some important details you’ll want to tackle. Do these first:
- Check the lease for your current location – Be sure that everything about your pending move aligns. Are you breaking the lease by moving now? Do you need to repair your building so you’re not hit with additional fees? This should be priority number one before you take any further steps!
- Build a moving budget – Spending willy-nilly is never good business, and making a move is much the same. Allow some wiggle room, but set up an estimated budget so that you can plan accordingly.
- Strongly consider commercial moving insurance – All things considered, moving insurance is a low-cost way of keeping your assets safe. The loss of materials, supplies, or major equipment can cripple a relocating business.
- Build a moving team – Assemble a team that can be trusted to handle various aspects of the move, from packing and labeling to scheduling movers and setting up financial matters. Sharing the burden and delegating effectively saves you time, money, and stress.
- Create a timeline for your move – A start date and a projected finish date. Fill in details as you can. Keeping an itinerary helps you keep track of how the move is progressing and whether anything has been neglected.
If you’re ready to get the ball rolling on your commercial move, contact Georgetown Moving and Storage Company today to get a quote for your commercial relocation!
Steps to Take to Better Organize Your Commercial Move
Once the ball gets rolling on your commercial relocation, utilize these steps to make moving your MD or DC business substantially simpler:
- Get rid excess office furniture to save space and minimize costs. Office furniture can be sold, donated, recycled, or collected by local junk haulers
- If needed, enlist help to disassemble large machinery or complex tools, or to help you in keeping documents secure and organized
- Ensure you have ample moving supplies including boxes, totes, secure storage, tape, labels, and moving vehicles—your commercial moving company can assist in getting these things.
- Generate and keep a comprehensive list of all of the assets you plan on bringing along for the move. Even for a smaller business this can take some time, so it is an ideal task to delegate to your moving team.
How Outsourcing to a Moving Company Can Streamline the Process
You may be tempted to make this an all in-house team affair. However, contacting a professional moving company benefits you in a variety of ways, including:
- Movers have access to bulk moving supplies at a lower cost
- Professionals have the connections, tools, and vehicles needed to complete a move properly
- Movers can effectively pack, load, haul, unload, and provide extensive planning guidance
- A moving company can provide local and long-distance delivery, helping to minimize your planning stress
- Movers often provide temporary storage—this can make moving in far simpler and less stressful, as you can recollect (or have delivered) items as you need them
If you’re looking to move in the DC, Maryland, or Virginia areas, connect with Georgetown Moving and Storage Company! With decades of experience and a strong reputation for leading customer service, we’re the quality commercial movers you need in order to get things done right.