How to Change Your Voter Registration When Moving Out of State

As moving day approaches, you have a lot of little details to include in your moving checklist, including how to change your voter registration. If you move within the same county, all you need is to complete a new voter registration form to update your permanent address. But, when moving out of state, you need to re-register in your new location.

If you’re passionate about voting in an upcoming election, be sure to change your voter registration as soon as possible. You’ll be happy to learn that the process is fairly straightforward. Here’s what you need to know.

Determine Your Eligibility to Vote

You must meet these requirements to be eligible to vote in a US general, primary, or special election:

  • You are a US citizen.
  • You meet the residency requirements of your state.
  • You are at least 18 years old (sometimes, 17-year-olds can vote, depending on the state’s age requirements).
  • You are not in prison or on parole for a felony.

Methods for Changing Voter Registration

You have three options for registering to vote: in person, online, or by mail. Your options may be limited depending on what state you’re moving to.

Register to Vote in Person

Since you also need to register your vehicle and get a new driver’s license after moving, you might as well complete these tasks all at once by registering to vote in person at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Find a DMV in your state to learn all the requirements before you stop by. You can also register to vote at a local or state election office, city or county clerk’s office, or public school or library.

Register to Vote Online

Another popular option is to register online. It’s very convenient since all you need to do is fill out an application and submit it electronically. Be aware that you need a valid driver’s license in your new state before you can apply online.

Most states have an online voter application system set up, including Maryland, Virginia, and DC. If you’re relocating out of this region, a quick internet search will reveal whether online voter registration is available in your new state.

Register to Vote by Mail

It’s easy to download and print out the National Mail Voter Registration Form. Use this document to change your name, address, and political affiliation, if needed. Then, simply follow the instructions for mailing the form in your state.

Be aware that New Hampshire, North Dakota, Wyoming, and the US territories don’t accept mail-in voter registration forms. In these states, the best option is to register in person.

Frequently Asked Questions about Changing Your Voter Registration

    • Why doesn’t voter registration information transfer automatically? States have different regulations, so an automatic transfer is impossible.
    • Do I need to tell my former state election office about my move? It’s not required, but it may be a good idea to get everyone on the same page.
  • What if I’m moving only temporarily? Your voter registration is tied to your permanent residence. If you’re living in another state temporarily during an election, you can request an absentee ballot to ensure you still have the opportunity to cast your vote.

Need Help on Moving Day? Choose Georgetown Moving and Storage Company

If you’re relocating long distance to or from Virginia, Maryland, or Washington, DC, Georgetown Moving and Storage Company is here to ensure a smooth, stress-free experience. We even offer guaranteed delivery within one, two, or three days, depending on how far you move.

To learn more about our long distance moving services, or for a free quote, please call us at (703) 889-8899!

Looking for something else?