Countdown to Moving Day
Picking up and moving your life is downright stressful. From selling your current home to packing your belonging in boxes, you barely have time to think. But don’t let it get you down – you can do it! Let the moving experts at Georgetown Moving and Storage Company help you plan an organized move with our step-by-step timeline to prepare you for the big day.
This comprehensive checklist was designed to help you stay on track leading up to, during, and after your moving day. We recommend keeping it on-hand throughout the entire process. Planning ahead is always best, but If you have a short-notice move, we can help.
Contact Georgetown Moving and Storage Company online or by calling today at (703) 466-0575 for more information on our packing, moving, and storage services!
EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Obtain a floor plan of your new residence and decide what household items you want to keep.
- Begin an inventory of all household goods.
- Solicit estimates from several moving companies.
- Contact your insurance agent, and ask them about your homeowners policy to determine whether your possessions are cove when moving.
- Establish a file for all moving papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer child(ren)’s school records.
- Choose a mover.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Begin search for good health-care professionals in your new location.
- Fill out post-office change of address cards.
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it — insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- For self moves, reserve a truck or trailer. Obtain necessary moving supplies: boxes, twine, labels, etc.
- Start packing!!
- If your mover is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair or cleaning as needed.
- Begin to use up overstocks of staple foods.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc.
- Make travel plans and arrange any motel or other reservations.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants. (Some movers will not move plants.)
- Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Transfer all bank accounts.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new destination.
- Buy traveler’s checks.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Have mover pack your goods (unless doing it yourself).
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewelry, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Complete information on bill of lading and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- Before the van leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Give the driver directions to your new home.
- Notify the driver and the van line where you can be reached during the move.
- Be on hand to answer any questions and give directions.
- You must pay the driver before your goods can be unloaded. This is a Federal requirement for interstate moves.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.
- Check carefully for any damaged or missing items.
- Note on the inventory any damaged boxes or obvious damage to unboxed items before you sign anything.
This information is provided thanks to the American Moving and Storage Association © Copyright
Moving to Washington, DC, Maryland, or Northern Virginia? Moving away from DC, MD, or VA? No matter your situation, Georgetown Moving and Storage Company can provide all of the moving and storage solutions you need to have a successful transition.
Contact us today at (703) 466-0575 for more information on our relocation services and receive a free quote!