Long-Distance Moving from the Washington, DC Area to Chicago
Are you planning a move from the nation’s capital to the Windy City? Chicago is a terrific city to live and work in, offering many pleasant neighborhoods, a beautiful open lakefront, and reliable transportation options.
From sporting events to community gardens and historic theaters, there’s something for everyone in Chi-town.
Not sure where your travels will take you next? Georgetown Moving and Storage Company offers storage services for moves of all sizes, whether it’s your studio apartment or your entire home, we have a solution that’s right for you.
Tips for Moving from DC to Chicago
A long-distance move comes with unique challenges. These packing and loading tips can help make the process go more smoothly.
- Stock up on packing supplies: Plenty of sturdy boxes, strong tape, and cushioning material ensures you won’t take shortcuts when protecting your valuable possessions.
- Consider getting packing help: Partial- or full-service packing by professionals can be a good idea if you’re worried about some items getting damaged or you think you’ll be short on time.
- Break down large items when possible: Deconstructing bookshelves, bed frames, dining tables, and other furniture has two big benefits: They’re less likely to get scuffed and take up much less room in the moving truck.
- Hire expert movers who offer a guaranteed delivery time: Georgetown Moving and Storage Company’s three-day direct moving service from the DC area to Chicago means you choose when your household belongings arrive at your new home.
Need to store some items in DC while you get settled in Chicago? We offer multiple options, including short-term storage.
Best Places to Move in Chicago
There are so many great neighborhoods to choose from in the greater Chicago area, but these nine suburbs and inner-city locations consistently rank as the best to live in:
- West Loop: Favored by young professionals looking for a safe, family-friendly lifestyle. A foodie’s paradise, the neighborhood is highly walkable and centrally located, so heading downtown is a breeze.
- Bucktown: Known as an up-and-coming neighborhood popular with young professionals looking for a chill environment. Residents love its proximity to Chicago’s newest park, the 606, and the neighborhood’s famous Whirlyball complex.
- River North & Marina City: Ideal spots for people who love an artistic environment. Situated on the Chicago River, both dominate the architectural and cultural scenes, offering everything from comedy clubs to museums, art shows, and trendy nightlife.
- West Town & Wicker Park: Has a hip, urban/suburban appeal with many unique shops, record stores, bookstores, performance venues, and art galleries. Business professionals and working artists live side-by-side, making this an excellent choice for those craving diversity.
- Lake View: Located on Chicago’s north side and considered a commuter’s dream. Home to the Chicago Cubs, the neighborhood transforms on game days. It’s also home to Boystown, one of the most energetic LGBTQ communities in the United States.
- Streeterville: Ideal for professionals who want to experience all that downtown Chicago has to offer. This buzz-worthy area offers residents spectacular sunrises, refreshing lakeside breezes, and easy access to some of Chicago’s major employers.
- The Loop: Another downtown neighborhood that many consider the heartbeat of the Windy City. It’s highly walkable, has excellent public transit, and offers access to some of Chicago’s best cultural institutions.
- Lincoln Park & Old Town: Usually chosen by people who are looking to start a family but still want all the benefits of city living. The neighborhood is situated directly on the lakefront and offers easy access to Lincoln Park, excellent schools, and a great safety rating.
- Clarendon Hills: A suburb about 18 miles outside downtown. People tend to choose the neighborhood for its excellent schools, larger homes, and lots. Despite its relatively small population of 8,900, the area is home to many coffee shops, restaurants, and parks.
Why Choose Georgetown Moving and Storage for Long-Distance Moving?
Good public transportation, neighborhoods for every lifestyle, and a strong, diversified economy make Chicago a wonderful place to live and work.
Ready to make your move from the greater DC area to the Windy City? Georgetown Moving and Storage Company offers affordable out-of-state moving services and long-distance services and provides a three-day delivery guarantee to all Chicago communities.
You can count on us to make your Chicago relocation experience as enjoyable and stress-free as possible.
Contact us online or call 703-889-8899 to learn about all our moving services.
Tags: interstate moving chicago il, chicago il to dc, va to chicago il moving, chicago relocation