The winter months are a great time for sipping hot cocoa, frolicking in the snow, and building the perfect gingerbread house. They are not, however, the most ideal time to pack and move. While curled up by the fire, packing boxes and moving heavy furniture are the last thoughts you want haunting your holidays.
But sometimes a winter move is inevitable - so, how do you make the best of it?
To make your winter move as simple and painless as possible, it’s best to plan ahead. Consider all factors that come into play when moving during the coldest season of the year - including weather, holiday obligations, time, and supplies.
No one wants to endure chilly temperatures while hunting for an apartment or new home - which is why the summer is the most popular time for moving! But, if you are prepared, your winter move can be a safe, pleasant experience.
Tips for Winter Relocation
Not sure what to plan for? Don’t worry - the moving and packing experts Georgetown Moving and Storage Company have compiled a list of the best tips and tricks for your winter move. We’ve completed many winter moves in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia, so we understand the stress a move - especially during the holiday season - can cause!
So, how do you move during the winter?
- Monitor the weather. Winter weather is unpredictable. Snow, ice, and frigid temperatures are not uncommon for us to experience - which adds a bit of a challenge to the moving process. Having an idea of any incoming winter storms or cold fronts can help you best prepare for the big day!
- Service your car. Not only do you have to worry about your moving truck making it to your destination, you also have to worry about your car! Have your personal vehicle serviced prior to your move to avoid car trouble on the day-of.
- Clear pathways and driveways. To keep yourself and your movers safe, clear snow or ice from the driveways and walkways - the last thing you want is someone slipping and falling while carrying a box of kitchenware.
- Don’t pack up your winter supplies. You never know what you’ll need on the day of your move, so it’s best to keep winter essentials unpacked and in your personal vehicle - this includes your mittens and coat!
- Get started early. In winter, the days are shorter. It gets darker much earlier in the evening, so it’s best to get a head start on the day. Schedule your move for an early morning so you’ll be settled before the sun sets!
- Layer up. You’ve got a lot of work to do, so wearing a big bulky coat isn’t going to cut it. Dress in layers so you can stay warm, but have the option to lose a layer if you get too hot from packing and moving.
- Hire a professional. Hiring a professional moving service is the safest, most effective way to move during the winter. Professional movers have experience hauling boxes and driving moving trucks on particularly cold or icy days - you might not!
- Be prepared for a Plan B. Between the changes in weather and the holidays, you need to be prepared for change. Winter is a busy and unpredictable season for all, so if you’re moving in winter have a back-up plan!
Have a Safe Winter Move With Us!
Considering a winter move this holiday season? Hiring a professional moving service like Georgetown Moving and Storage Company can help make your move easier than ever! We are happy to assist you with any of your moving and storage needs this winter. Give us a call at (703) 466-0575 for more winter moving tips and recommendations!