As you start preparing to move, the garage is one of the first rooms you should tackle. Once you pack everything and stack it against the walls, you can use the garage as a place to store boxes leading up to moving day. You might feel a little overwhelmed by the amount of packing you must do, or even unsure of how to pack certain things. Use these tips to help simplify the process.
Have a Garage Sale
There’s no sense in packing and moving things you never use. Sort through your garage (and other rooms in your home) and set aside belongings you don’t need anymore. If you have the time and the patience, hold a garage sale. The money you make can help offset the cost of moving. Donate or recycle anything that doesn’t sell. Only throw away broken or unusable items.
Know What Not to Pack
You can’t take many of the things you store in the garage with you when you move for safety reasons. Throw out or give away these items prior to moving day:
- Aerosol spray cans
- Paint and paint thinner
- Propane tanks
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Cleaning supplies
Pack Tools & Equipment Properly
Many of the items in your garage are too big and bulky to transport in cardboard boxes. Here’s how to pack tools and equipment properly:
- Pack your toolbox with small hand tools and shut it securely.
- Cover sharp blades with several layers of bubble wrap.
- Bundle long-handled garden tools together with rope and wrap them in a moving blanket.
- Pack power tools in their original boxes, if possible.
- Empty fuel out of gas-powered machines – such as lawn mowers, grass trimmers, and chainsaws – before moving them.
- Remove the propane tank or charcoal from your grill before moving it.
- Disassemble bicycles for easier transportation.
Arrange Packing Services in DC, MD & VA
If you need help packing your garage and other areas of your home, Georgetown Moving and Storage Company is here for you. We offer partial and full-service home packing to provide as much or as little help as you need. We’ll make sure your belongings are packed safely and securely, so everything arrives at your new home in pristine condition.
To work with a DC-area mover with over 15 years of packing and moving experience, please contact Georgetown Moving and Storage Company online or call us at (703) 466-0575 today.