Are you running out of room in your home to store the things that are most important to you? Whether you want to hold onto keepsakes like your wedding dress and grandpa’s old violin, or you’re saving furniture items and toys for the grandkids, it could be wise to rent out a storage unit. If your possessions are delicate and susceptible to damage from the elements, not just any old storage solution will do. For these sensitive items, you need climate-controlled storage.
Looking for climate-controlled storage in the DC Metro area? If so, contact Georgetown Moving and Storage at (703) 466-0575 to learn more about what we offer!
What Is Climate-Controlled Storage?
Traditional self-storage units are nothing more than garages lined up in a parking lot. The items inside are exposed to extreme temperatures and humidity fluctuations all year round.
Climate-controlled storage is different. This solution involves heating the storage space to 55 degrees or above in the winter, cooling to 85 degrees or below in the summer, and maintaining a relative humidity level around 40 to 55 percent. The purpose of climate-controlled storage is to prevent your belongings from ever being exposed to extreme conditions.
Items that Need Climate-Controlled Storage
It isn’t necessary to store all belongings in a climate-controlled storage unit. However, a surprising array of materials may be susceptible to temperature and humidity extremes. Seriously consider a climate-controlled option if you plan to store any of the following:
- Wood furniture and musical instruments
- Leather items
- Electronics and appliances
- Books and documents
- Artwork and rare collectibles
- Bedding and mattresses
- Vinyl records
Benefits of Climate-Controlled Storage
If you’re planning to store any sensitive items over the long-term, climate control gives you peace of mind knowing your belongings are protected against harsh seasonal extremes. Consider the many benefits of climate-controlled storage:
- Prevent damage from high temperatures: The thermostat can easily read 90 degrees or higher outside during the summer in DC. High heat can cause photographs to stick together, stamp collections to peel, and electronics to be harmed.
- Prevent damage from freezing temperatures: The average nightly low in January during a DC winter is below freezing. Without climate control, this could damage appliances, cause leather to crack, and lead to battery failure in electronics.
- Prevent damage from high humidity: The East Coast is known for humid weather all year round. If humidity levels rise well beyond the ideal range of 40 to 55 percent, wood furniture may warp, mold may grow on clothing and upholstery, and silver coin collections may tarnish.
- Prevent damage from low humidity: When the humidity level drops too low, the results can be just as severe. Wood may crack, pages in books may become brittle, and photos and documents may turn yellow.
- Decrease the accumulation of dust: A climate-controlled storage warehouse has sealed and insulated walls, floors, and roof. This helps to keep dirt and debris out that could otherwise settle on your belongings and gradually deteriorate them.
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit in the DC Area
At Georgetown Moving and Storage, we recognize the value you place on your possessions. That’s why we offer climate-controlled storage warehouses in Washington, DC; Arlington, VA; Alexandria, VA; and Landover, MD. Our goal is to provide the most reliable storage options for our customers in the DC area. When you choose to store with us, our moving and storage experts will walk you through your storage options and point you toward the solution that meets your needs and budget best.
For more information about climate-controlled storage, please contact Georgetown Moving and Storage at (703) 466-0575!